Dubai City of Gold

I was out the whole day yesterday so I didn't get the chance to post anything. My friends and I went to Gold Souk ("souk" is a local term for market). About 300 jewellery shops are all situated in this gold market. This place is not just a famous tourist attraction in Dubai, but more so a jewellery shopper's paradise. Here, you can find a variety of jewelleries like earrings, rings, necklaces, bracelets, pendants, etc. What's enticing to buyers is that most shops offer many different shades of gold to suit any customer's taste. You can choose from modern to traditional items, and if that is not enough to satisfy, you can also get your own piece exclusively designed for you. Craftsmen can alter the composition of alloys in the gold to create pink, white, yellow or green hues in one piece.

Perhaps the question that's running through your head now is - what about the price, are the jewelleries affordable? Well, affordability would of course depend on the gold karat and how intricate the design is. One thing is definite though, the price of the gold jewelleries here are cheaper than most gold shops in almost any part of the world, that is why Dubai has been famously dubbed as the "City of Gold".

To be honest, it's not only my feet that got tired from walking through the entire stretch of shops at Gold Souk, my eyes got weary as well from feasting at the dazzling window displays. There's just so many shops, so many options to choose from. Haggling to get the best price is a common practice here when shopping for gold. I don't know if anyone can relate with me, but when I'm confronted with too wide a selection to choose from, I get confused all the more and I end up not buying...hihihi. Well, I was not intending to buy anything anyway, I was just accompanying some friends (who were actually successful in their find).

Here's a photo of a window display commonly seen at Gold Souk:


Now if this is not enough to make your jaw drop, I don't know what will. Quite impressive, huh?

So, if ever you get the opportunity to come to Dubai (and even before your pocket money runs out), make sure to head off first to Gold Souk and buy yourself a gold jewellery souvenir you fancy.

Gold Souk Trivia:
Did you know that at any given time, over 25 tonnes of gold is on display in Dubai's jewellery shop windows. (How's that for an irresistible temptation?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2012 Mariz Ungson. All Rights Reserved.
All articles in this blog are original and personally written by the author, unless otherwise stated for certain posts. In such cases, credit will always be extended to other authors or websites being quoted or referenced hereto. If you like a particular article, photo or any other content here, and wish to quote or re-publish it, PLEASE leave a note in the comment box so I can promptly reply, due credit and a link back to my quoted article would of course be required and appreciated. Thanks!

Stay updated!

Stay updated!
CLICK ICON TO SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS FEED
Subscribe via E-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner