Dubai bans dancing, kissing & "inappropriate" behavior

There are some new (and shocking!) rules recently being implemented in Dubai. Couples - unmarried ones, would have to stride away from the habit of holding each other's hands in public, mini-skirts are now a no-no, even dancing is now taboo. Here's a news report explaining why...

Dubai Issues List of Phohibited Public Behavior


Playing loud music, wearing short shirts, dancing, nudity, kissing and even holding hands in public are all considered inappropriate behavior under new guidelines laid down by the authorities of Dubai, according to a press report on Saturday.

The Dubai Executive Council issued a list of special standards governing public behavior that requires Dubai residents and visitors to respect the customs of the Muslim country and avoid what the council considers inappropriate behavior, the Arabic-language Emarat al-Youm reported.


The rules, which apply to all public places, include a ban on all forms of nudity, playing music loudly, dancing, kissing between men and women and unmarried couples holding hands.

In addition, the council ordered that anyone caught under the influence of alcohol—even a small amount—outside designated drinking areas would be fined or imprisoned. Any breach of the guidelines, by nationals or expatriates, carries a possible prison penalty or deportation, the paper said, adding that the guideline have been distributed to governmental departments and private companies.

The order also requires all visitors of public places, such as government buildings, shopping malls, streets and restaurants to dress in “appropriate” clothing, otherwise they would be denied entrance.


“Pants and skirts have to be of appropriate length and outside clothing should not expose body parts indecently and should not be transparent,” according to the Dubai Executive Council,
the guidelines stipulate under section “public behavior.” Slogans or pictures considered "insulting" to any group or religion were also prohibited.

Uh, oh... I'm sure there would be a lot of negative reactions to this as Dubai is known to be a melting-pot of cultures. I have a feeling this would not be a welcome change to a lot of expatriates and tourists who come here. On the other hand, the government has every right to impose any rule, this is after all their country, and while we are temporarily staying here, there is no other choice but to respect and adhere to these rules, whether we like it or not.



News Source: Al Arabiya News Channel

5 comments:

Robin said...

Loud music too? The clothing restrictions I can see their point of view, but the music does seem a bit harsh. I wonder if all this is a reaction to the couples who keep getting caught on the beach...

I'm glad there are fewer restrictions where I am. The weather's nearly as hot here and I live in tank tops all summer long. Long flowy skirts are fine, but I need my shoulders bare LOL.

Thanks for visiting Around the Island the other day and for your kind words about my photo.

Maus said...

oh oh,,,super higpit..

Caprice- said...

As much as I am against the government opposing too many laws,I think the way some people dress and act in public is disgraceful. In America, especially liberal California, and more importantly right here in Lake Don Pedro, young teen girls walk down the side of the road in tiny bikini tops and shorts so short there's nothing left to the imagination! I want to pull them into my car and ask them what they are thinking???!!! Boys (and some men) walk into the market with no shirt on.
Maybe the US should impose some rules if the parents of these kids or the parents themselves are showing the world what should only be seen at home.
Sorry- I couldn't help but comment on this topic.
Caprice

SASSY MOM said...

That's so scary! How can they attract more tourist. you know I really love to visit Dubai and see the famous hotel, Burj Al Arab. Kaya lang with the strict rules, kakatakot!

Mirela said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Ann


http://largepet.info

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2012 Mariz Ungson. All Rights Reserved.
All articles in this blog are original and personally written by the author, unless otherwise stated for certain posts. In such cases, credit will always be extended to other authors or websites being quoted or referenced hereto. If you like a particular article, photo or any other content here, and wish to quote or re-publish it, PLEASE leave a note in the comment box so I can promptly reply, due credit and a link back to my quoted article would of course be required and appreciated. Thanks!

Stay updated!

Stay updated!
CLICK ICON TO SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS FEED
Subscribe via E-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner